Sunday 22 February 2009

Mac ION iED05 software

I have just finished writing some very basic software to enable me to use the ION iED05 USB drum kit with Garageband (or any other MIDI capable software on an OSX 10.5+ Mac). Essentially, the program acts as a MIDI source and just maps Human Interface Device (HID) Input data to Midi "Note On" messages. The MIDI Manufacturers Association's Tech Specs page is a useful source of information if you're interested in the technical details of MIDI.

Over at Apple Developer Connection you can find details of OS X's Audio Support on the Audio page with a quick overview of the API's within this Audio Overview PDF.

I'll not be hosting the software anywhere just yet, as it's in a rather "alpha" state, but if anyone's interested in getting a copy, just leave a comment as it might enthuse me and get round to producing something a bit more user friendly.

7 comments:

  1. Hey, we have an iED05 and really want to try it out in garageband, do you mind if you could send me a copy of the alpha? historytorrent@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll see if I can get something sorted this weekend that I can send in some easily installable form...

    ReplyDelete
  3. *desperate* for something like this. i have a background in q/a and software testing, and know the innards of OSX like the back of my hand, if that helps :)
    quaestoratquaestordotus

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately, I've not made any progress on this yet - had my hands full for the past couple of weeks with other things! Will let you know when I've made some progress...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have just bought one of these kits as it says it is mac compatible, but it does naff all once plugged in, it shows up in system profiler, yet Logic Pro 8 just doesn't seem to respond in anyway and neither seems possible to make it...

    Why do they state it works if it bloody doesn't...

    Obviously you can add me to the list of interested parties... really what's the point in making something music related that doesnt work with and apple mac!?

    ant_mail@btinternet.com

    thnakss

    ReplyDelete
  6. PPPPPPLLLLLLLEEEEEEEAAAAAAAASSSSSSEEEEEEE!!!!

    I need it I need it I NEED IT!

    Literally on my hands and knees begging you to get off your lazy ass and send me a copy of this software that your brilliant mind has realized for us all.

    letsthrowaparty@gmail.com

    I give thanks from the deepest crevase of my tiny heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, I bought an ION IED05 Studio Session drumkit for my son. I gave up trying to get the kit to work on my son's PC laptop (using the supplied Windows XP software) so I plugged the USB lead into my Mac mini, launched Garageband and it works perfectly without the slightest configuration (I have OS 10.4) As a first kit it's cheap and effective - I recommend it highly (but then it works fine on my Mac!)

    ReplyDelete